Hot Weather Means Proper Shelter Needed for Dogs

Charlie Johnson showing his kennels and dog houses to BCHS Humane Officer Hawbaker

Summer season is upon us and the hot weather is soon to hit our region. Dogs that are outside need to have proper shelter to protect them from the heat, rain, and inclement weather.

Recently Bradford County Humane Society's Humane Officer Hawbaker traveled to Towanda to visit very well built dog houses and kennels. In the photo you can see the proper dog houses, and kennel area that is sufficient for the size of the dogs.

You can purchase dog houses at various home improvement stores or pet supply stores, or you can even build your own using wood. BCHS has handouts of how to do this.

The Humane Officer would like to remind you of the following:

The law of Pennsylvania Requires That You:

1. Supply FRESH food, water and necessary Veterinary care for all animals in your care or on your property.

2. Supply ALL animals’ access to clean shelter sufficient to keep it dry, protect it from bad weather and be adequate to preserve its own body heat and shade to protect from the hot sun.

Not following the laws above could mean:
1. Penalties
2. Fines
3. Forfeiture
4. And or JAIL time

Questions The Humane Police Officer Has Received In Regards To The Above Law:

1. Do livestock such as horses, cows, donkeys, sheep, goats and pigs need shelter?
Reply: YES, they must at least have a three sided shelter that is clean and stays dry. A TREE LINE IS NOT CONSIDERED ADEQUATE SHELTER.

2. If a dog can get under a porch or under a vehicle is that considered to be adequate?
Reply: NO, They must have a coop or nice dog house that stays dry and is not in the mud. BEDDING MUST BE STRAW OR WOOD SHAVINGS ONLY, NO RAGS OR BLANKETS.

If you are a student and have built your own dog house, call BCHS and we can take a photo and send to local papers commending you for your hard work and dedication to the care of your pet!

If you have questions about the proper shelter for dogs, please call the Humane Officer Line at 570-888-4763.